Welcome to My sweet savings!
Hi there! I am so glad to have you here at My Sweet Savings! I hope that this website will empower you to save more and spend less! We love to offer savings advice for the smart and savvy lifestyle, and hope that you will learn to save in every area of your family's budget so that you can splurge on those fun luxuries from time-to-time!
(All posts may contain affiliate links or sponsored content. Please see my disclosure policy)
photo credit: Brazilian Wood Depot
Whether you are thinking of adding a new deck to your backyard because of so many of staying home or needing help to take care of your existing deck, there are several things that you’ll want to do to make sure you are properly doing the job well ( and even save money in the process ). Below are a few ideas to help you maintain your deck not only for its longevity but also to help keep its beauty as well as ideas on how to save money in the process of building a deck.
- Cleaning Your Deck Once A Year – Depending on what type of hardwood you have, the longevity and the color will vary. There are so many incredible hardwood options to choose from and all are rooted in the same basic principles as far as how to clean them properly. Tight grained natural woods are usually boasted being a watertight wood or water-resistant, however, they do have a surface that will need to be looked at it for any mold or mildew growth. Without cleaning them properly or having proper maintenance, they will rot away. The naturally occurring tannins and oils present in the wood do need to be protected and preserved if you want it to look new year after year. Check to see what type of deck you have and what you need to use to properly clean it. Some use a pressure washer to help get rid of old dirt and grime from over the winter months and also help spruce up your deck in minutes rather then days.
- Deck Design: There are some deck materials are milled in lengths of 16, 12, or 8 feet. In the case of pressure treated wood, every cut not only wastes the wood but also can provide an opening for water to get in. This is essential when you are buying the wood in the milled length does save you money on wood but it can also shorten the time to build the deck as well.
- Find A Quality Deck Company To Assist: Contrary to your design, you want to make sure that you find a quality deck company to assist you to build it if this is not an area of expertise. If you live in the Atlanta area, there is a company you must look into called Brazilian Wood Depot. They offer a variety of hardwoods for you to choose from including their popular ones like Ipe, Cumaru, or Garapa decking. Garapa wood in particular or Brazilian Oak is a decking lumber with a lemon yellow color that becomes light brown or honey with age. This hardwood has a light ribbon-like natural design, appears water or wavelike similar to silk. Garapa is considered the highest quality, best natural wood decking material on the market right now. It’s also extremely popular with many benefits for those looking for issues including fire resistance, water-resistance, and bug resistant.
- Decorate With Existing Furniture: Once you have your deck the way you want it, another money-saving tip could be bringing out old furniture that you already have out to your deck. If you don’t have any furniture that you can use, try looking for any estate sales or check Facebook Marketplace to help find something that can also help your bank account too. See if neighbors are having garage sales or looking into getting rid of old furniture they don’t want anymore. There are plenty of DIY ideas to help you restore or make the furniture your own as well.
- Build During Off-Season: One way to help you save money building your deck is to build it during the offseason. With warmer weather during the spring and summer months, those are the busiest times for deck contractors. Everyone has been contemplating their deck over the winter and want to start building with the warm rays of the sun, which then results in a higher demand to hire. The price also goes up for both labor and materials. If you live in an area like the southern states, you can still build during late fall or winter which then leaves you no problem hiring a qualified contractor and perhaps give you a better deal with everything as well.
There are so many other great tips to help you save on building your dream backyard deck. Have a budget and make sure that you try and stick with it every step of the way. Do your best to hire a qualified, highly requested, and sought out professionals to help you when you need it, ask questions and help you build the proper deck.
(All posts may contain affiliate links or sponsored content. Please see my disclosure policy)
(photo credit: Infinite Moving)
For many of us, moving is such an exciting time because you are able to experience new moments and memories for either yourself or with your loved ones. Of course, before you can enjoy those moments you have to move everything from point A to point B. This can cause you to become extremely stressed out as well as spend more money than you thought originally. There are many things you can do to make moving less expensive and when you feel that it might be too much, there are also ways you can limit these expenses as well. There are always costs involved when it comes to moving but below are a few easy saving tips to help you when the big day arrives.
1. Take What You Need- We can all be a creature of habit and want to take everything that we own. The bigger your space is the more things you will want to collect and bring with you. One of the biggest things to help you save costs only takes the items that you think are worth moving, especially as you approach the big day. We accumulate a lot of stuff throughout the years and there is a good thing that you might not need absolutely everything that you have in your home. Consider then either discarding these items, having a garage sale, or donating them to a local charity or church nearby. If you have children, this is a great way to get your kids involved and have them fill a big trash bag of toys they haven’t played with in months, clothes they don’t wear or shoes they have outgrown. Have a system to categorize everything on what you want to sell or give away by either using post-it notes or writing them down on pieces of paper to help remind you what is going to go where.
2. Look For Moving Supplies – When we decide to move, one of the biggest obstacles in trying to figure out how to move all of our supplies, belongings, and possessions and what you need to. Look to any family or friends who might have extra boxes that they are looking to get rid of. YOu can even have a few yourself that you forgot about from past birthdays or holiday parties. Every free box will help you save a bit of money. Packing breakable items with your clothing that you get from Amazon or any online shopping as well as newspapers can also help save you money. Think of what items you need to pack in these boxes. For instance, you’ll want to find a specific box to pack your stemware and fancy china in rather than an old cardboard box.
3. Decide What You Need Help With – Moving involves a lot of decisions to make including how much time you have, the energy you’ll need to put in to move everything, and how many things you can move on your own or need assistance with Moving can be a lot different when it is just you in a studio apartment compared to a well-established family that is moving to a larger home with 4 kids. There can be a lot or a little to move so be sure to balance out the cost of what you can do yourself and what is needed to get it done. Packing your own things of course can lessen the cost of hiring movers but you don’t want to get hurt in the process of moving a bed frame or a bulky couch out of the door.
4. When In Doubt- Call A Professional – Once you weighed all the options, take your time but if you are really stressed, don’t have any time, or need help, it’s time to call the professionals to help take the anxiety and potential risk of you hurting yourself out of the equation. Begin by looking at various moving companies in your area that are eager to help you. This means that they can also have good deals when a company is looking to attract clients like yourself. Although the cost might be the primary concern, don’t forget to compare factors such as quality of service, looking at reviews, and speaking with former customers to help you make a decision. A quality and trusted moving company is called Infinite Moving and they are sure to assist you with your moving needs and questions. This Polk County labor movers also can store items and furniture for home construction projects, provide a truck during the move, provide boxes and tape, label and organize your boxes and deliver them safely to your new destination. Whether you need a truck or just need to use theirs, you can count on them to make the move as smooth and seamless as possible.
When it comes to moving you can never be too careful with what you need, asking for help, and just doing your very best. Moving can be overwhelming for all involved so when in doubt, always call in help from trusted friends, family, neighbors or professionals to help you. The end result is a hopeful flawless move to get you experiencing and enjoying new memories in your new home and city.